Here are my top five recommendations to consider when you are revamping your website.
- How much do you want to spend? Know what budget you budget is. I know that it may sound obvious, but have an estimate in mind before meeting with website developers. There is nothing more frustrating for both parties — you and the developer to have several meetings only to find out you can’t afford their services.
- Have a clear understanding of what you are actually getting. Don’t be surprised if SEO is something totally different and doesn’t come with the website development. Are you working with a graphic designer that doesn’t know HTML or are you working with a developer that only uses templates? Make sure to do the best you can to understand what you are paying for.
- Ask questions. Don’t be shy. If you working with a good website developer he or she will explain the process to you and help you learn.
- Understand what the deliverables are. Create a website calendar for deadlines. This keeps you and the developer accountable for implementation.
- Try to work with a website designer in your industry. It’s very helpful when a developers has past clients that are in your industry. They will have a better understanding of your product, target audience(s), and may even make recommendation for your website to be more viable.